Do you love teaching? LaAmistad is looking for applicants that live our core values and are interested in providing educational support and services to the Latino community. LaAmistad is seeking passionate, responsible team members to support afterschool program locations for our organization. After School teachers are primarily responsible for instructing students in an after-school classroom setting with volunteer tutors.
LaAmistad Core Values
Kindness: “The ability to speak with love, listen with patience and act with compassion.”
Excellence: "Every touch, every time, no exceptions"
Passion: "You can't fake passion."
Team Work: "Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much"
Perseverance: “Grit, the raw endurance, hard work and passion that keeps you going despite obstacles.”
- Support student academic performance through literacy, math skills and social/emotional development.
- Work with the Academic Director to develop an individualized curriculum and plan differentiated educational activities based on the needs and interests of the students.
- Evaluate learning objectives for each student based on assessment results and school data and adjust if necessary.
- Collaborate with teachers to obtain student data reports needed to assure student progress. (Report cards, Reading Level, IEP information, ESOL status, etc.)
- Administer student assessments and own data reporting fidelity.
- Monitor student progress and provide regular reports to parents, schools and LaAmistad Afterschool and Academic Directors.
- Responsible for training, cultivating, and supporting volunteer tutors.
- Ensure safety and security of children enrolled through host site emergency procedures.
- Schedule and deliver parent conferences.
- Attend mandatory meetings/trainings as scheduled throughout the year.
- Share program updates via weekly newsletter with volunteers, host church representative and school staff/representatives.
- Seek and give feedback on how the organization can better serve the students.
- Manage other program staff (interns, parent liaisons, etc.)
- Assist in identifying, attracting and retaining students through enthusiasm for and promotion of LaAmistad Afterschool.
- B.S. degree in early childhood education or related field required with state certifications
- Minimum of one year working with school-age youth, ages 5-11
- First Aid/CPR training
- Good communication, planning and organizational skills
- Confidence to run a classroom alone
- Ability to build relationships with volunteers, families, and staff from diverse backgrounds to create a dynamic environment for students to learn and thrive
Desired Skills and Attributes
- **Retired Educators K-12**
- Fluent in Spanish preferred but not required
- Able to cultivate and build community relationships and partnerships
- A heart for service and community