Are you Bilingual in English and Spanish? Do you love teaching children and adults? LaAmistad is looking for applicants that exhibit our core values and are interested in providing educational support and services to the Latino community. LaAmistad is seeking a Bilingual (Spanish/English) employee to work in our Afterschool, Spanish, and ESL departments serving as a teacher/ program assistant and/or Parent Liaison. The job is about 10-20 hours per week.
LaAmistad Core Values
- Kindness: “Kindness is having the ability to speak with love, listen with patience and act with compassion.”
- Excellence: "Every touch, every time, no exceptions"
- Passion: "You can't fake passion."
- Team Work: "Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much"
- Perseverance: “Grit, the raw endurance, hard work and passion that keeps you going despite obstacles.”
- Prepares, teaches, and evaluates assigned instructional courses.
- Creates, and updates class syllabi as needed
- Develops supplemental teaching material and strategies to help students practice
- Evaluates and documents students’ progress
- Performs other relevant duties as assigned
- Support the Site Director with on-site programming needs
- Assists the staff with all communication to and from the parents in English and Spanish
- Help parents navigate the school systems as well as community resources
- Effectively responds to parent inquiries, questions, and comments
- Familiarizes him or herself on an ongoing basis with each child’s family and school situation, assisting family members in areas of need
- Prepares and distributes program documentation and details
- Maintains a variety of confidential and non-confidential lists and records (computerized and manual) for the purpose of documenting and/or providing reliable information
- Participates in a variety of meetings, workshops, and committees for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform functions
- Refers students and parents to outside agencies for the purpose of meeting the needs of the students
- Bilingual native Spanish speaker
- Fluency in Spanish and English (writing, listening, and speaking)
- 2 + years teaching experience with adults
- Experience working with a pre-set course outline
- Interactive teaching style
- Ability to motivate students and making learning fun
- Ability to create cultural exposure in or outside of the classroom to facilitate learning
- Must have a high school diploma or GED. A bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Experience with parent coaching is preferred
- Knowledge and understanding of issues and dynamics within diverse families
- Flexibility to work some evenings and weekends as during parent/or community events
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications such as Word/Excel/PowerPoint
- Must have own transportation and hold a valid driver’s license
- Commitment to the program’s goals and mission
Desired Skills and Attributes
- Enthusiasm about teaching adults
- Ability to confidently lead a class
- Ability to cultivate a friendship with students while setting clear expectations
- Strong organizational skills along with a sense for detail and follow-up
- Solution-orientated and ability to problem-solve
- Excellence in communicating with diverse audiences
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently
- Ability to multi-task and meet multiple deadlines
***No Phone Calls Please***